How do you find out and why is it important anyway?
Was there ever a time when you looked at someone and thought how great they looked but couldn’t pinpoint why?
It probably was because he/she was wearing or using the appropriate color(s) that complimented their skin tone.
Using colors that compliment your skin tone make you look healthy and glowing rather washed out. That’s when you might hear the question,
“Is there something wrong?”
So…..how do you determine your skin tone?
Commonly, people who tan well, as opposed to those that burn, usually have warm skin tones. Usually, those with fair skin who burn easily have cool skin tones.
Hair and eye color may help you recognize your warm or cool skin tones. Generally, people with red or strawberry blonde hair have warm skin tones.
Those with brown or hazel eyes will also have warm skin. People with blue, green, or gray eyes will usually have cool skin. Always keep in mind that when trying to recognize whether you have warm or cool skin tones, you should also take into account which colors look best on you.
Here are some simple ways to help you determine your skin tone:
- The Vein Test
The inside of your wrist or elbow is usually best for this. flip the wrist over and look at the veins there.
If the veins appear blue you are cool toned and if they are greenish you are warm toned.
- Black/White or Brown/Off White
If you look better in white and black, you are cool-toned.
If you look better in brown and off-white, you are warm-toned.
Another test is to hold a white towel or t-shirt underneath the face; if the face reflects yellow, it is a warm skin tone, and if the face appears blue, it is a cool skin tone.
- Gold or Silver
It's a little known fact that warm and cool and gold and silver go hand in hand.
If you can, find a piece of silver fabric and piece of gold fabric.
Stand in front of a mirror in natural light. Hold each piece of fabric next to your face, one at a time and examine.
If the silver makes your face brighten, you are probably cool toned.
If the gold makes you look healthy and glowing, you are probably warm toned.
COOL TONE SKIN:
General Characteristics of Cool Tone skin:
- Veins appear bluish in color
- Look great in white and black and silver jewelry
- Eye color blue, grey, dark brown or black
- Hair is ash blonde, dark brown or black
- True olive (most Asians and Latinos)
- Skin has a pink, peach or bluish undertone.
- Medium skin with no color in cheeks
- Medium skin with faint pink cheeks
- Pale skin with no color in cheek
- Pale skin with pink undertones
- Ruddy-pinkish red skin
- Those of ethnic descent from Scandinavia, the British Isles, Central Europe (France/Germany/Switzerland and surrounding countries) may often have a cool complexion.
So what does this mean?
Your foundation should be pink based and jewel tones like blues, violets, and emerald green probably look amazing on you. Cool-toned people look best in colors such as blue, red, pink and purple, or "gem-tones". You are most likely to be flattered by pastel shades.
Celebrities with this tone of complexion include:
Megan Fox, Anne Hathaway, Kim Kardashian, Reese Witherspoon. Elizabeth Taylor, Demi Moore, Anne Hathaway, Courtney Cox, Sandra Bullock, Eva Longoria, Jennifer Hudson, Jennifer Connelly, Shania Twain, Brooke Shields Candace Bergen, Hillary Clinton, Heather Locklear, Britney Spears, Sarah Jessica Parker, Christy Brinkley, Jennifer Aniston.
WARM TONE SKIN:
General Characteristics of Warm Tone skin:
- Veins appear greenish in color
- Look great earthy colors, such as oranges, bronzes, golds, peaches, brick reds, earthy greens, mocha browns and ivory.
- They look best in yellow based colors.
- Pure white or pastels make you look washed out
- Eyes are amber, golden brown, green or hazel
- Hair color is usually brown, golden, black, red, auburn, golden blonde or strawberry blonde
(Yellow, orange, golden, red undertones)
- Skin has yellow, peach, golden or olive undertones
- Easily tan a golden brown
- Ethnic descent from Eastern Europe, Southern Europe, Scotland, Ireland, or Asia may have a warm tone.
What does this mean?
Your foundation should be yellow based and earth tones like olives, brown, and rusts probably look amazing on you. Warm-toned people look best in earthy-toned clothing, such as browns, yellows, oranges, yellowish green and ecru. You are most flattered by an off-white, cream or ecru shirt. Look best in gold jewelry.
Celebrities with warm skin tone include:
Nicole Kidman, Meg Ryan, Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reba McIntyre, Sarah Ferguson, Marcia Cross, Calista Flockhart, Tara Reid, Renee Zellweger, Ellen Degeneres, Diane Sawyer.
Okay........ what about if you can’t decide between Cool or Warm Skin Tones??
Cool coloring is much more common than warm. You probably know if you are warm.
If you still are unable to determine your skin tone, you could be neutral toned.
Neutral skin tones can pretty much pulls off any color but DO tend to sway favorably one way.
Neutral toned people can wear just about any color and look great.
Some neutral skin tones pull towards warm or cool.
If you're aneutral pulling warm tones then you will look best in warm but still look good in cool tones.
If you are neutral pulling cool tones then you will look best in cools but still look good in warm tones.